Three pairs of eyes looked at me resentfully. I couldn't blame them, this time it was my fault for being late.
-Who do you think you are to keep us waiting?! -said one of them.
- Sorry, that guy wouldn't leave me
alone, so it was hard for me to approach you.
It was the truth. At first, I came with that purpose in mind, but with Nathan's unexpected presence I had to postpone it until I finally forgot about it.
- You could have punched him and come earlier! - she retorted.
- If I had done that I would have gotten in trouble. - I tried to convince her.
- He's just a human. We are spirits, you know?!
That's right. In these last two months, I discovered something else, that I am able to see and talk with spirits.
Normally, humans are unable to interact with spirits unless they have a contract with them, after all, spirits are the ultimate divinity in the world. That doesn't seem to be my case, though.
I met these spirits a couple of weeks after Nathan arrived. I was hiding as I usually did when I accidentally stepped on one of their favorite flowers.
'Why won't he stop chasing me?'
That thought popped into my mind as I ran through the garden. Earlier I ran into Nathan, who for an unknown reason insisted on accompanying me during my break. I don't want to spend too much time with him, so I ran away like a coward after rejecting his offer. Still, that maniac started chasing me!
While running through the garden I found an unusual place. I had never seen this part of the garden before. The plants looked healthier, the flowers were more colorful and a nice breeze was coming from the trees. There was a pit full of water to the left accompanied by a small barrel with which you could water the plants.
I walked slowly around the place, admiring the enormous effort that whoever takes care of this place must have put in it until I felt my feet stepping in something. It was a wonderful flower; it had a unique fragrance and its color was extremely rare.
'It's a pity I broke it, what should I do?'
Soon my thoughts were interrupted by a voice.
- Hey! What's your problem? Why did you ruin the flower? - said a girl among the trees.
I looked in the direction where the voice came from. Unfortunately, I couldn't see anything because of the bushes that blocked my field of vision in that place.
- Calm down Collete, it was most likely an accident.
This time the voice belonged to a boy, who was trying to soothe the girl. Still, something was wrong. In this orphanage, I am the youngest, so there should be no children. Then, who were they?
The next thing I could hear was an argument. Apparently, Collete was really upset about the loss of her flower.
'I'd better apologize'.
I approached the trees in order to apologize to the girl, but she was nowhere to be seen. Have I lost my mind? I don't think that's the case, after all, I could still hear the argument. I climbed one of the trees to see if I could find them from that height. However, what I found left me speechless.
At the highest branch were three little winged beings. The first one was blonde with green eyes, she was wearing a pink dress and was eating a strawberry. The second had brown hair with honey-gold eyes, she was wearing a red dress and was arguing loudly with someone.
'Collete, I presume'.
The last person was a boy with black hair and eyes, he was wearing a blue suit and was restraining Collete as he tried to calm her down in the middle of their argument.
- Um... Excuse me? - I said trying to make myself noticed.
All three turned in my direction and were petrified.
- You... Can you see us? - they asked in unison.
I nodded. Their eyes lit up at my answer and soon, they began to fly frantically around me. I sat carefully on the branch as they watched me curiously.
The little blonde started playing in my hair, hiding in it and tugging at it from time to time. The boy looked at my back as if he was trying to find my wings and Collete pulled my cheeks playfully.
'Looks like they've gotten comfortable already.'
I placed my hands together in front of me as I gently shook my head. I was trying to indicate them to land on my hands, but only the little blonde understood. She flew out of my hair and stood right in the middle staring at me.
- Hello, my name is Rosalie and yours?
- My name is Alina. - she said with a smile. - And these are my friends Joel and Collete. We are lesser spirits of the plants and this is the place where we live.
I looked at her doubtfully. Did she just say they are spirits? What is that?
I had never heard of them. In this country, the only ones allowed to learn the basics like history or religion were the children of successful merchants, the nobles, and the members of the temple. Because of this, it was impossible for an orphan like me to know about them.
As I tried to process what I had heard, the other spirits sat down next to Alina.
- You... Are you a human? - Collete said as she pointed at me.
- That's right. - I replied.
- How is it possible for a human to be capable of this? - said Joel surprised.
- I don't know. Perhaps, it shouldn't be possible? - I asked.
- You really don't know?! - they shouted at me in disbelief.
The three of them reunited and started whispering things inaudible to me. They seemed to be trying to decipher the reason why I am able to interact with them. At least I hope so. It would be really bad if they were actually planning how to get rid of me.
- Listen, human, I don't know why you can see or hear us, but what I do know is that you have destroyed our favorite flower. What do you plan to do about it?
That's what Collete said. She looked really disappointed and upset, it seems like that flower was important to her. That's when I remembered the reason, I had climbed the tree: to apologize to her. I climbed down from the tree and knelt down while looking at the ground.
- I'm really sorry little spirits. I have been very careless and ruined your flower. I know it won't be the same but... Please let me fix my mistake!
- And how do you plan to do that? - Joel asked.
- I will plant a new flower for you. It may not be as colorful or pretty as yours, yet I will do my best to make sure it grows properly.
Three giggles resonated in my ears and soon their faces came into my field of vision.
- Alright! I'll forgive you, but don't forget your promise. - said Collete, pouting.
- You must come every day to take care of the flower, okay? - Alina replied to me.
- It's already decided. Now get up from there and get to work! - Said Joel as he handed me a seed and a small shovel.
That same day, I planted the flower in the same place where the old one was and since then I go every day to water the plant. I also became closer to the three of them, to the point where, while taking care of the flower, we would talk about our day and from time to time they would teach me about the spirits, plants, and history. All behind Nathan's back, obviously.
'We have become so close'
I smiled unconsciously as I watched the three spirits in front of me.
- What are you laughing at?! - Collete said annoyed.
- It's nothing, I was just thinking about how we met. - I said.
The three looked at each other as if they were remembering that day and soon began to laugh. That day I made an awful first impression but in spite of everything we have become friends. I am happy to have met them, if it wasn't with them, I would be all alone.
I took the bucket and fill it in order to water the flower. Then I chatted with the spirits about my day and finally, we played hide and seek until sunset. Tired, I lay down on the grass. The gentle breeze relaxed me. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.