The Omegaverse, a world not much unlike our own.
(A/N except this one ^_^" eh heh heh . .. ) Where Society is set in to 3 major Castes or secondary genders beyond your biology.
ALPHAS - The ruling class.
* Known by their appearance as being taller (5' 10' or taller), stronger, more masculine than their counterparts. They comprise 10% of the population
* Have a highly territorial and aggressive temperament, especially where their mate is concerned. They tend to hold important positions in society; leadership, management, education, politics and the like.
* Alpha females have both a uterus and a penis. Alpha females conceiving is extremely rare both due to their low frequency of menstruation and their tendency to take an Omega/Beta mate. Alphas rarely choose another Alpha as their mate. (their dominant nature usually clashes with one another.
* They have the Highest sense of smell among the genders. Being able to smell their mate from some distance. Differentiate their mates mood through their scent and smelling an Omega in Heat from miles away.
* Alpha's incisors elongate during Rut and when they plan on claiming a mate.
* Their Aegis tend to be aligned with more offensive abilities. (Fire, Earth, Wind)
BETAS - the working class
* Betas are seen as the epitome of average within society. Average height, weight with a more calm and easy going temperament. They tend to just blend in to the background and have no desire to stand out. They make up approximately 70% of the population.
* Beta females only have a Uterus and Beta males only have a Penis. Beta males are unable to conceive a child as opposed to their Omega counterparts.
* They tend to form relationships amongst themselves as they do not have the desire to deal with the dominant Alpha nature or overly submissive nature of Omegas.
* They tend to hold the manual labor and manufacturing jobs within society and generally are happy with their station and don't want much more than a comfortable lifestyle.
* Betas do not posses the heightened sense of small as Omegas and Alphas do, therefore they are not effected by an Omega in Heat. This is why oftentimes they are used as aides to care for Omegas in Heat.
* Betas do not possess an Aegis and therefore also do not have Blessings. Due to their lack of abilities, they are not eligible to be accepted in to the Order of the Watchers.
OMEGAS - The Subjugated
* Physically smaller than both Alphas and Betas (5'7" or shorter). Physially weaker and Slender, oftentimes described as having a feminine physiques. They comprise 20% of the population.
* Generally have a more submissive and agreeable temperament. This making them ideally suitable for Alphas to mate with as they tend to become dependent on their partners.
* Both male and female Omegas have a Uterus and capable of pregnancy, only Omega males have a penis.
* Omegas tend to have more passive/defensive Aegis. ( Water, Soul). The Blessings also align to more creative and healing abilities. This makes them ideally suited for Healers sect within The Order.
Omegas experience an episode of extreme physical and emotional distress when they Ovulate. Generally characterized as an extreme fever and weakness, thus the term "Heat". During this time the glands located in the neck of an Omega secrete a pheromone that attracts all unmated Alphas to them. Unmated Alphas can smell an Omega in heat from up to 5 miles away depending on their sense of smell. Mated Alphas are able to resist the Heat of Omegas not bonded to them. The incidence of an Omega conceiving increases up to a 90% success rate. A Heat cycle can last from 2 days up to 2 weeks depending on the individual Omega and occur quarterly (every 3 months). Heats can be deadly for an Omega as they will neglect their own self care and fail to eat or drink. Dehydration is the most prevailing symptom Omegas suffer during their Heats from profuse sweating and lack of intake. An Omega in heat can send an unmated Alpha in to their Rut.
Alphas experience episodes of extreme sexual aggression known as Ruts. Where in which they will seek out the nearest unclaimed Omega to mate with. They become singularly focused on the need to mate and procreate. This is condition generally lasts 3 days to a week depending on the Alpha and their last Rut. This need to procreate will prioritize over all other needs, including an Alphas need to eat or drink. Malnutrition and dehydration are a real danger during an Alpha's Rut. Unmated Alphas are especially dangerous as they can become violent with other Alphas over an Omega and will fight over an unmated Omega. An Alphas Rut isn't satiated until they have sufficiently knotted with a partner enough times to satisfy their personal needs. Unmated Alphas can sometimes work their Rut out with Betas without the worry of unintentional claiming occurring.
Both Alpha Males and Females have a ringed vessel at the base of their penis that swells during orgasm. This engorged vessels lock the Alpha's penis inside the Omega allowing for maximum semen introduction and increasing the likelihood of conception. The only complete way to satisfy an Omega's Heat is with an Alpha's Knot.
Claiming occurs when an Alpha plans to make an Omega their mate. Their Alpha fangs elongate and they bite in to the neck of their chosen Omega. The fangs inject the Alpha's pheromones in to a gland located within the neck of the Omega and form a physical and emotional bond between the two. Once an Omega has been claimed their Heat only effects their mated Alpha and conversely only and Alpha's mated Omega can induce their Rut.
A similar version of a mate bond is imprinting. Imprinting occurs between and Alpha and an Omega who share strong emotional ties. Such as that between parent and child, lovers, close friends. Imprinting forms a connection between the two similar to a claim bond where the Alpha can sense the emotions of the Omega and the Omega becomes more submissive and pliant to the Alpha. This tends to occur naturally without any effort on the part of the individuals involved. An imprinted pair can induce the Rut or Heat of the opposite partner just by being in proximity to each other if they are not related. Many mated pairs started as imprints that evolved in to mates. If or some reason the imprinted pair become distant emotionally or literally physically for too long the imprint can weaken and fade. This tends to cause unintentional emotional distress involved, often manifesting as fits of anger or extreme sadness without cause. In some rare cases an Omega can become physically sick from a weakening imprint.
With the unpredictable nature of how Alphas will respond to Heats and Ruts, Suppressants were quickly manufactured to either decrease the severity or completely stop an Omega's Heat or Alpha's Rut. These suppressants come in the form of pills, potions and injections to completely inhibit a Heat cycle and Masking Candles, lotions and Collars to hide the Scent and pheromones of an Omega.
Those indoctrinated in to The Order of the Watchers can Manifest a physical suit of armor that protects the bearer in battle. This Armor, or Aegis, is the representation of the favor shown from one of the five primary alignments. Each Aegis is specific to the individual and the appearance is dictated by the alignment and personality of the bearer.
The Order of the Watchers teaches that there are five major alignments that a person can be attuned with. Each alignment grants a different set of abilities and skill set that can be manipulated and utilized. The major alignments are as follows : EARTH, FIRE, WATER, WIND and SOUL.
In addition to an Individuals Alignment, they may be bestowed with additional abilities from one of the Five Pillars of the World. Blessings allow a person to utilize the power of an alignment that would not be otherwise represented in their Aegis. The Five Pillars are as follows:
Earth - empowered by Gaia
Fire - empowered by Suzaku
Water - empowered by Jormungandr
Wind - empowered by Vayu
Soul - empowered by Danu