Instead of a presidency or monarchy, there is a Mayorship. The Mayoral system is basically a monarchy, except the citizens can evict the Mayor if they feel that they are not fit for the role (this is very rare due to the mayoral children being brought up to be for the people). The Mayoral family has the most power in their “Cate” (say-te), but most of their decisions must be run by The Council. The Council consists of 7 members, who are elected by the citizens every ten years. Even more, although the Mayor is the head of the Cate, their mayoral spouse has almost as much decision power.
Unlike a monarchy, the eldest son of the mayor is not necessarily going to become the next Mayor. The Mayor can choose any of their children to be their successor. Also, this responsibility is not a lifetime role, you can only be a Mayor until you’re 65 years old. If the mayor dies before they can decide who is going to be the next in line, the people vote between the Mayoral children or if there is only one child then they automatically take on the job, although everyone has the right to decline the position.
Basic Information on The Setting and Mayoral Family:
Cate is the name used on this Earth instead of the kingdom. Each cate is an island, varying in size. The location of the story is in the Cate of Lyria. Lyria is about the size of Texas, or for non-Americans, the size of Germany, Austria, and Czechia put together. In the center resides the Mayoral Palace, similar in design to Buckingham Palace. The coastal areas of Lyria are mainly farmland.
The mayoral family of Lyria includes the Mayor- Richard Mayor, his wife Bethany Mayor, and their two children Violet Ianu, and Austin Mayor. Violet is roughly ten years older than Austin and married her husband, Connor Ianu at the age of 20, and they had their daughter Abby Ianu at 21. Violet, Connor, and Abby live in a more rural part of Lyria, as Violet was never a fan of the spotlight that came with being a Mayor.
- Xs are covered in soft hair (not fur) that is often dark brown to black.
- Adults have 4 eyes- with black sclera and red irises.
- Xlings do have 4 eyes but the final two do not open until puberty, male Xlings are born with horn nubs but their horns do not grow until they hit puberty.
- Adult Male Xs are about 7’ to 7’6 (2.13m to 2.29m) and have horns.
- Adult Female Xs are about 6’6 to 7’ (1.98m to 2.13m) and do not have horns.
- Xs have very sharp canine teeth as they would be considered carnivores.
- Xs have ears like deer ears but in the same place as human ears would be.
Information on Xs from an X Farmer (What Humans in this world are told):
- Xs have a low level of intelligence like a cow.
- Xs only live 5-10 years
- Xs should be considered highly dangerous.
- Male Xs are either immediately made into meat once they hit adulthood or if they are considered strong, they are bred and sent into the fighting ring against other Male Xs in a very popular event known as X Ring. They will continue to fight until they are unable to, then they are made into meat.
- Female Xs are either immediately made into meat once they hit adulthood or if they have desirable traits they are bred. Once they can no longer breed, they are made into meat.
- Due to the dangerous state of Xs, X farms are rare. This along with their many uses makes X farming very profitable.
Information on Xs from the Author:
- Xs live to about 40 before they are killed. If left to live they will reach an average age of 120
- Xs, are very intelligent, and curious. They have their own language “O”.
- Most Xs avoid violence unless necessary because they value life.
- Xs can transform their appearance into other animals if their organ system and basic bone structures are similar. This was an adaptation formed by Xs when they first started being hunted, to blend in with the humans.
When ~ surrounds a dialogue piece the character is talking in O